Cooking, Eating, Tasting ... why limit it to food? Life is for living.

Wednesday, 1 October 2008

Planning Meals

Where do you put the balance between trying to save money and making sure everyone eats well? As a friend said to me just the other day, there is only so much you can do in the name of frugality. Well, the savings do add up when you plan your meals carefully and shop buying only what you need.

For instance. In these troubled times, the price of meat is going up. How do you keep the balance between quality and quantity? I have to admit that thanks to the Moneysavingexpert Old Style forums I've come up with a couple of alternatives, and have tried and tested one without any problems. My personal favourite? Lentils. Red Split Lentils. Add a couple of handfuls to a bolognese sauce for either a spaghetti bolognese or a lasagne, or even a stew, and they'll absorb the liquid and mush-up. You'll not be able to distinguish this from the mince.

Another possibility, albeit one I've never tried, is porridge oats. They absorb the liquid just as lentils do. The final one I know of is TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein) which takes on the same characteristics as minced meat (without the taste) so if it is included in a savoury sauce it will bulk it out without the high cost.

I need to work out my meal plans for the rest of November now. October is already planned.

No comments: